Curators’ Profiles

The curatorial collaborative is embarking on this experimental project in cooperation with a selection of MA Fine Arts students with the aim to explore various approaches to exhibition making. Five students from the MA Curating & Collections programme attempt to make a contribution to the contemporary art discourse on curating and investigate the relationship between the exhibition maker, the artist and their work. The curatorial collaborative’s fundamental objectives are to examine how to best overcome obstacles which arise within an institutional context and those created by practical parameters in addition to finding a cohesive aesthetic language despite the radical challenge of the absence of knowledge regarding artistic, structural content.

Curators biographies:

Sara Elmasri  Helsinki, Finland

I received my undergraduate degree, BA in Modern History & English and Comparative Literature from the American University in Cairo. Prior to enrolling at Chelsea my work experience was both event management and freelance photography. My research interests involve exploring curating non-contemporary work by using contemporary curatorial practices.

Oxana Smirnova  Moscow, Russia

I am an independent curator. I gained my Bachelor Degree at Instituto Europeo de Diseno at Barcelona. My professional experience includes two years at Marka creative agency, where I was mainly responsible for the communication with artists/museums and involved in the processes of creating exhibitions’ concepts and their realization. The projects include: Bond by GQ multimedia exhibition; Night at the Museum 2012, 2013, 2014; Lexus Hybrid Art project 2012, 2013, 2014; Covered with Snow exhibition; Parajanov exhibition; Jaguar Summer Museum 2012. I’m currently developing a few individual projects, one of which is called “My Body is a Temple” and is based on performance art.

Fabian Strobel  Düsseldorf, Germany

Graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in art history and philosophy from the Ludwig-Maximilians-University in Munich. I gained various practical experiences through internships at Galerie Voss, Düsseldorf, and by initiating the curatorial projects art.spiring and wals.gallery, where I held the position of the project coordinator. My current dissertation is focusing on Performance Art and the question, how you can exhibit Performance Art without the actual act of performances.

Roberta Vacca  Alba, Italy

I received my undergraduate degree in Science of Cultural Heritage in the Università degli Studi in Turin. Since moving to London four years ago I worked in different realities between which the Southbank Centre, the Estorick Collection of Modern Italian Art and Chiswick House. My curatorial research is focusing on live performance and the strategies to preserve, document and reenact this type of art.

Yang Yang  Beijing, China

After completing my BA studies in English Literature in China I decided to move to the UK where I received my first MA degree in Linguistics at the University of Leicester in 2009. My current research is focusing on text-based conceptual art.